This week, as the Church prepares to celebrate Trinity Sunday, the question “Where is the church’s attention focused” becomes even more pertinent as we look ahead to resuming in-person worship. What parts of the church will be buried with lockdown and what will be born out of lockdown. This sermon was preached on Trinity Sunday 3 years ago. I offer it here to my colleagues who are preparing for this Sunday…??? What are we prepared to midwife into being???
– Where is the church’s attention focused?
Skoda – think of the skoda as the focus of the church’s attention???
- While our focus is upon our doctrine’s, or style of worship, our buildings, or generally preserving the instructional church, our neighbourhoods have been changing right before our eyes and we have failed to notice
- How much attention do our concerns about the church distract us?
- What changes in our neighbourhoods have we failed to pay attention to?
- Van changing to a taxi?
- Scooter changing to a pair of bicycles?
- Lady holding a pig
- The entire landscape has changed!
- Skoda is one of the oldest car companies in the world – Skoda has been around since they first began building automobiles
- The old Czechoslovakia
- Sold primarily to Eastern block countries
- Nobody really wants a skoda – they are cheap, unattractive cars – the image of the Skoda is tied up in a time when people weren’t free to buy the cars of their dreams and had to settle for a skoda
- Much like the image of the church
- There was once a certain Pharisee named Nicodemus